At Oak Valley Health, we provide world class care to patients and have experience in all areas of anaesthesia and surgical care.
If you are coming for surgery, please also see the Your surgical care journey and Day of surgery pages, where you will find out important information such as how to prepare for surgery and what to do/where to go when you arrive.
Over 42 physicians and surgeons in our surgical program care for patients of all ages. We perform over 17,000 surgeries per year. About 50 to 60 per cent of our surgeries are outpatient procedures. This means you will have your surgery, spend approximately two hours after surgery recovering in the hospital, and then return home the same day.
Our surgical program focuses on:
- Safety and excellence
- Increased access to care
- Providing the “right” care at the “right” time
- Reducing surgical wait times
- Minimally-invasive technology: This type of surgery minimizes surgical incisions and thus reduces trauma to the body. It is usually performed using thin needles and an endoscope to visually guide the surgery.
- Ambulatory surgery, also known as same-day surgery
- Surgical oncology (surgery for cancer)
- Prevention of certain conditions through screening and endoscopic procedures
- Provision of surgical care close to home
We pride ourselves on meeting the needs of our culturally-diverse patient population. Our surgical team is comprised of a diverse staff and physician group. They are culturally competent and provide culturally-sensitive care. Many of our team members and physicians speak multiple languages. We offer translation services if required so please be sure to let one of our team members know if you need this service.
We provide some patient materials in different languages and are working on ensuring multilingual translation of all our patient education materials.
Surgical services we offer
Click the links in the menu or see the list below to learn about the full range of surgical services we provide.
- Specialty surgeries: general surgery, orthopaedics, gynaecological, urological, ear/nose/throat, plastic surgery, and surgery for children
- Surgical inpatient units at Markham Stouffville Hospital
- Surgical outpatient clinics at Markham Stouffville Hospital: endoscopy, Fracture Clinic, Minor Surgical Unit, Orthopaedic Joint Assessment Centre (OJAC), outpatient procedure suites, Plastics Clinic, Surgical Wellness Clinic, and WSIB Clinic
- Surgical outpatient clinics at Uxbridge Hospital: cystoscopy and orthopaedic clinics
Central Intake: Musculoskeletal Care
To improve quality, access, and appropriateness of care for people with musculoskeletal (MSK) conditions, the MSK Central Intake, Assessment, and Management is available.
This model of care offers a centralized referral system for hip and knee arthroplasty and low back pain patients.
- Timely access to care
- Comprehensive assessments
- Individualized education and treatment advice
- Self-management support
- Reassessments as needed