Preparing for Your Diagnostic Procedure
Certain procedures may require specific preparation prior to your arrival. Preparation may include: not eating or drinking before your appointment, avoiding caffeine products, or reducing/stopping medication intake, such as inhalers or beta blockers. You will receive preparation instructions when booking your test; also refer to our Patient Preparation Instruction Sheet. You can also click on the specific test you are having in the menu to find preparation instructions.
If you are taking any sedatives on the day of your procedure, we ask that you make arrangements for someone to drive you home. This is required if you are taking sedatives before or during your MRI or interventional radiology procedure.
Arriving for Your Diagnostic Procedure
For all visits to diagnostic services, we ask the following:
- Let us know in advance if we should plan for accessibility or translation support, or if we can help improve your experience in some other way.
- Kindly ensure you are properly prepared for your specific procedure.
- Please always bring your health card.
- Please do not wear perfume or cologne as our hospitals are scent-free environments. Please also do not wear jewellery as you may have to remove it.
- Please arrive 15 minutes before your appointment to complete the registration process. For MRI, we ask that you arrive 30 minutes beforehand.
- You are welcome to have someone accompany you for additional support or to drive you home.
- When you arrive at the hospital, you can register at the registration centre which is located in the main lobby. The registration desk clerk will direct you to where you need to go next.
- If your MRI appointment at Markham Stouffville Hospital is after hours, download a MRI guide for after-hours appointments to enter the hospital through the Emergency Department.
- Once registered, you can make your way directly to the waiting area for your procedure. Stopping for refreshments may result in missing your appointment time and being rescheduled. Additionally, keeping refreshments away from the waiting rooms is greatly appreciated by the other patients who are on food/beverage restrictions.
- Cell phone reception may be limited in some areas. Please keep cell phones turned off or on vibrate while inside an exam room.
- With emergencies always arising in any hospital setting, please be prepared for possibly longer than expected wait times before your appointment. Free Wi-fi is available.