Patients with chest pain who visit the Emergency Department may be referred to the Chest Pain Clinic. Patients will be contacted within 72 hours to schedule their appointment. The appointment should be scheduled within one week of the initial visit to the Emergency Department.
On the day of testing you will be seen by a cardiac sonographer and technologist for cardiac stress testing. The next day you will receive a virtual consult by the cardiologist or cardiac specialist who will provide you with a full cardiac consultation and review of testing. They will also determine your risk for coronary artery disease (CAD) and may suggest further testing or a follow-up appointment.
What You Should Know Before Coming to Your Appointment
- Please do not wear jewellery or perfume on the day of your visit.
- Please arrive 30 minutes before your test to register at central registration in the main lobby.
- Bring your health card and your requisition (if your physician has provided you with one).
- Bring all medications that you are currently taking with you to the appointment.
- Please ensure you let the scheduling staff know if you are unable to walk on a treadmill, prior to booking the appointment.
Your testing may take up to four hours. The clinic assessment includes diagnostic tests and a consultation with the cardiologist. You will receive a diagnosis, care plan, and instructions to stay in touch with your primary care physician. You may require further testing.
You will have a follow-up at your physician’s office or via the telephone.
Frequently Asked Questions
The Chest Pain Clinic visit is normally arranged by the Emergency Department physician that you see after a visit for chest pain. In the Chest Pain Clinic, your test results and cardiac history will help to define your risk for coronary artery disease (CAD) and other possible future cardiac events.
On your first visit, you will have all of your testing done. The next day you will have a full virtual consultation with a review of your test results. If you are having a nuclear medicine test with Myoview, you will be informed of more specific instructions at the time of booking. Your full consultation and review of tests will be completed when your test results are ready.