The Cardiovascular Rehab and Wellness Program at Markham Stouffville Hospital is a self-management program that helps patients with confirmed cardiovascular disease, such as stroke, transient ischemic attack (TIA), or heart disease, to improve their cardiovascular health and make the best decisions for a healthier lifestyle.
Patients with any of the following risk factors may also benefit from this program:
- High cholesterol
- High blood pressure
- Increased stress level
- Inactive lifestyle
The 26-week program includes:
- Weekly 60 minute exercise sessions at the Cornell Community Centre adjacent to Markham Stouffville Hospital.
- Weekly 30 minute education sessions.
- Three one hour nutrition classes, which includes a grocery store tour.
- Access to other useful and important community resources.
Goals of the Cardiovascular Rehab and Wellness Program
The program hopes to achieve the following goals for everyone who actively participates:
- Improvement in cardiovascular fitness
- Overall increased feeling of well-being
- Improved blood pressure
- Improved blood sugar control
- Improved cholesterol and triglyceride levels
Patients must attend an introductory class prior to being enrolled in the program. For more information, call 905-472-7601.