Oak Valley Health values innovation because it helps us provide you with patient care that is more convenient, more efficient, better coordinated, and smarter. SmartCare means providing the right care to the right patient at the right cost, through the use of innovation. We are developing an innovation hub to help bring our ideas from concept to completion.
In 2016, we launched an Office of Innovation to foster a culture of innovation, support our patient experience strategies, advance quality and performance indicators, and put new innovations into practice.
We celebrate innovation with our annual SmartCare Innovation Fair and regular Innovation Café events where our staff can showcase their work and meet other inspirational people.
We are constantly developing and launching new projects that will help improve your patient experience, create value and efficiency, drive research, and create new knowledge:
- BedsidePEWS: The Bedside Paediatric Early Warning System (BedsidePEWS) helps clinicians identify sick children who are clinically deteriorating in the Emergency Department and inpatient wards, and prioritize their care to improve outcomes in community settings. Oak Valley Health implemented the paper-format BedsidePEWS in 2017 and is currently testing an electronic version. Clinical training with the paediatric team will start summer 2019.
- Virtual Monitoring Services (ViMos): ViMos is an innovative, patient-centered self-management program that provides remote monitoring and clinical support for patients with chronic conditions, such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and congestive heart failure. The goal is to reduce hospital readmissions and empower patients by providing them with the tools and support to self-manage their health from the comfort of their own home. Learn more about ViMos.
- Diabetes ID: The Diabetes ID iPhone app provides young people living with type 1 diabetes with lifestyle management information to prepare them for the transition into our adult diabetes program. Diabetes ID also provides an easy way to record pump settings and lab results. Available in the iStore.
- Get Connected (REACH): Oak Valley Health is aiming to digitize and automate information flow between systems to become an integrated system. Get Connected/REACH will address the challenges of: making patient, information flow and communication visible and automated, include real time locating services, and application integration. Oak Valley Health is currently reviewing RFP submissions from the shortlisted proponents.
- Hypercare: This is a mobile messaging app that is compliant with the Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA), allowing clinicians to text or share multimedia files with other authorized individuals or groups in the organization. In the future, Hypercare will be the primary text platform for clinicians, allowing for better collaboration and secure messaging.
- Klickkit: The Klickkit system consists of a smartphone app connected by Bluetooth to physical buttons that help track adherence and compliance during pilots and change management projects.
- Oak Valley Health Ignite: The Oak Valley Health Ignite smartphone app helps standardize and improve the effectiveness of the onboarding and orientation process at our hospitals. It collects physician feedback about onboarding and orientation, and provides quick access to necessary resources. This project is in phase 2 piloting.
- QIPAudit: This is a collaborative co-design project with HandyMetrics to improve the overall process of rounding for staff and patients. Rounding prior to this project was paper-based and the subsequent processing of data was tedious due to the manual nature of the follow-up process. The mobile app allows auditors to complete rounding surveys electronically and submit via their mobiles where the data can be compiled into reports. QIPAudit will eventually be able to autogenerate reports and align with development plans for employees.
- ShiftLink: The ShiftLink platform connects schedule coordinators with employees to fill vacant shifts faster and more efficiently. Employees receive notifications about available shifts and have the options to accept or reject shifts within an allotted time. The responses are then available to the administrators on the web portal where they can award the shift to the employee who best fits the shift requirements.