The Shared Health Information Network Exchange (SHINE) is a partnership between Oak Valley Health, Southlake Regional Health Centre, and Stevenson Memorial Hospital that will enable the three organizations to share electronic medical records.
The first step in this partnership is the implementation of the MEDITECH Expanse hospital information system. This has already gone live and will provide health care providers at all three organizations with seamless access to patient records.
As part of the implementation of MEDITECH Expanse, a patient portal will be launched which will give you access to your records. This will help improve quality and patient safety, engage you in your care, and improve coordination of your care.
Health Information Network Provider Statement of Practices
Oak Valley Health hosts the MEDITECH Expanse system for the SHINE partnership. Under s.10(4) of the Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA) and ss.6(3) of Regulation 329/04 made under PHIPA, a person who provides services to two or more health information custodians to use electronic means to disclose personal health information to one another is a health information network provider (HINP).
Our responsibilities include:
- Managing changes in roles and responsibilities as they pertain to PHIPA and establishing appropriate agreements
- Assessing the privacy and security of the information system to help ensure that it protects personal health information
- Appointing one or more individuals who will be responsible for the privacy and security of the personal health information in SHINE
- Establishing logging, auditing, and monitoring policies and procedures, including the communication of these controls to the participants
- Providing incident and breach management support to the participants by informing the parties in the event of a Privacy Breach or unauthorized access
Patient Connect is an online tool that gives patients and families 24/7 access to their health care information.
With Patient Connect, you can view:
- Upcoming appointments
- Laboratory and diagnostic results
- Health care provider notes
- Visit history information
- A summary of medications ordered when you are discharged from the hospital
- Making plain language safeguards available to both the public and participating organizations
- Completing a Privacy Impact Assessment (PIA) and Threat/Risk Assessment (TRA)
For more information about our information privacy practices, please contact the Office of Access and Privacy at 905-472-7373 ext. 2183 or email email@example.com.
For more information about Patient Connect, click here.