The Obstetrical Outpatient Clinic offers early pregnancy assessment and post-partum support. Appointments are by referral from your health care provider.
Early Pregnancy Assessment at the Outpatient OB Clinic
This is a clinic to assess and support pregnant women less than 20 weeks gestation who are experiencing threatened or actual pregnancy loss. This includes ectopic pregnancy, incomplete loss, and early pregnancy assessment.
In the clinic, you may see a physician, nurse, and social worker. As part of the team, the social worker can meet with you and your partner and assist in supporting your emotional recovery. The social worker can discuss psychosocial matters with you and link you to community resources. The social workers you may see in the clinic are:
- Wajeda Shaikh, MSW, RSW
- Joey Crump, MSW, RSW
Postpartum Support at the Outpatient OB Clinic
Postpartum appointments are available once you are discharged from the hospital after giving birth. Your nurse will schedule an appointment for you before you leave the hospital, usually within 24 hours after discharge. You may also call (905-472-7351) to book an appointment for any postpartum concerns.
- Supportive counselling sessions such as cognitive behavioural therapy, mindfulness, narrative therapy, or solution-focused therapy
- One-to-one follow up with a registered nurse, registered social worker, or lactation consultant
- Appointment types include face-to-face onsite visits, class/group sessions, or online video appointments from the comfort of your own home
- On-call obstetrical physician
- Referral to the Outpatient Mental Health Clinic if needed
- Referral to community resources
Note: If you are feeling unwell after giving birth, call your doctor if you experience any of these postpartum warning signs. If there is an emergency, call 911.
Tips for Recovery After Childbirth from Markham Pelvic Health
Here are a few tips and exercises to help with recovery after childbirth.
Markham Pelvic Health offers pelvic floor physiotherapy, registered massage therapy, counselling, and psychotherapy that can help with healing. Find out more: email email@example.com or call (905) 604-4591.