Preparing to give birth
Preparing to give birth
Location and Contact
Location: Markham site: Labour & Delivery Triage, Unit 4WH building B, 4th floor
Notice: Childbirth orientation sessions are canceled indefinitely. You can view the forms we hand out at the sessions here:
- Hospital Bag Checklist
- Hospital Bag Checklist (in Mandarin)
- Post Partum Help
- Things to Remember Checklist
- OMama (a website and a mobile application that connects you to trusted, evidence-informed pregnancy, birth, and early parenting information)
If you have a concern about your pregnancy or think you may be in labour, call the obstetrical assessment telephone line at 905-472-7366, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. You will be connected with one of our registered nurses who will ask you several questions about your specific situation and work with you to establish a care plan.
Preparation for your visit
Familiarize yourself with the hospital in a virtual tour, helping you better understand which entrance and elevators to take to the childbirth area. You can also get a glimpse of our 13 private labour & delivery rooms and our postpartum rooms (13 private, 1 semi-private, 1 ward).
Coming to the hospital
Find out about coming to the Markham site, including a hospital map.
If you have concerns about your pregnancy, think you are in labour or are going to be making your way to the hospital, please call our Triage Unit @ 905-472-7366.
If you come to the hospital for an assessment, please bring your healthcard to our Triage area on the 4th floor of building B. There you will be assessed by a nurse who will update your healthcare provider or the on call physician about your situation. Depending on your stage of labour, and your unique situation you may be admitted or you may go home with a plan of care.
Parking lot options
During regular business hours:
- Visitor parking lot #1 at Church Street and Butternut Lane and come in through the main entrance
- Visitor parking lot #6 off Bur Oak Avenue and come in through entrance D, beside the Emergency Department
After regular hours
- Visitor parking lot #6 off Bur Oak Avenue and come in through the main Emergency Department entrance; security will escort you to the Childbirth Unit.
Find out more about parking at Markham Stouffville Hospital.
Directions to Childbirth Unit
Take passenger elevators in the link lobby of building B to the 4th floor and follow the signs to 4WH.