COVID-19 Assessment Centre (Testing)
COVID-19 Assessment Centre (Testing)
Location and Contact
Location: The COVID-19 Assessment Centre is located at Markham Stouffville Hospital (MSH). See map below.
Online Booking: To get tested at the COVID-19 Assessment Centre you must meet the criteria listed below and book an appointment online.
If you are having technical difficulties with online booking, please call 289-378-2419.
Booking an appointment
To get tested at MSH’s COVID-19 Assessment Centre you must meet the criteria listed below and book an appointment online.
Criteria for testing
To get tested at MSH’s COVID-19 Assessment Centre you must meet the criteria listed below and book an appointment online. Walk-ins will not be accepted.
As per Ontario Government guidelines for COVID-19 testing, effective December 31, PCR testing at our Assessment Centre will only be available for:
- High-risk individuals who are symptomatic and/or are at risk of severe illness from COVID-19, including for the purposes of confirming a COVID-19 diagnosis to begin treatment
- Workers and residents in the highest risk settings
- Vulnerable populations
A full list of eligible individuals can be found here.
- Our Assessment Centre will not be testing patients who do not meet the above criteria. The Assessment Centre does not do travel swabs.
- Our Emergency Departments (ED) at both our Markham Stouffville Hospital and Uxbridge Hospital is not a testing centre. Do not come to the ED for COVID-19 testing.
- If you have cough, cold, and/or COVID-19 symptoms and you want to see a doctor for your respiratory symptoms. You may book an appointment to see a doctor at the Assessment Centre. At this appointment a physician will assess you to determine if you qualify for a swab. You may or may not receive a swab, at the physician’s discretion.
- This Assessment Centre is not a drop-off site for PCR tests sent home from schools (for teachers and students). Completed samples are not accepted at this Assessment Centre.
Booking an appointment online
- New appointment slots released at 12:01 a.m., and will remain open until registration cap is met.
- Appointment slots are available for same day and next day appointments (48 hour period). If no appointments are available, no slots will be shown. Slots may become available throughout the day if cancellations occur.
- If you booked an appointment for a swab only. Your appointment is considered confirmed. Please arrive at the Assessment Centre 10 minutes early to check-in and bring with you two pieces of government-issued ID, and your health card (if you have one).
- If you booked an appointment to see a doctor and to get swabbed, your appointment is not confirmed until you receive a phone call from an MSH staff member to complete your registration. You must complete your registration with an MSH staff member before coming for your scheduled appointment.
- Do not seek testing at multiple COVID-19 assessment centres as this will result in delayed access and delayed test results for all. If you can no longer make your scheduled appointment, please cancel so others who need a test can be seen.
- To cancel your appointment log-in to your appointment booking account, click ‘Appointments’ on the top right menu, and click ‘Cancel’ on the appointment.
Testing hours and location
Registered appointments only: 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. (last appointment at 4:15 p.m.)
Effective Monday, January 10, 2022.
Registered appointments only: 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Getting to the Assessment Centre
The COVID-19 Assessment Centre is located at MSH. The COVID-19 Assessment Centre cannot be accessed from inside of the hospital. The entrance is located on the south side of the hospital, east of the Emergency Department, see map below. COVID-19 Assessment Centre parking is in lot #7.
Information before you get tested
- The Ministry of Health has updated the guidelines for COVID-19 testing. Please carefully read the guidelines listed above to determine if you meet the criteria for testing before registering.
- The Assessment Centre will no longer be testing patients who do not meet the guidelines above.
- Upon arrival to the Assessment Centre, individuals who have registered will be asked to check-in at the nursing station.
- The test is similar to that of other respiratory illnesses and involves taking a sample from the back of the nasal cavity with a swab. York Region Public Health will follow up with those who test positive for COVID-19.
- The COVID-19 Assessment Centre will not provide a doctor’s note. Those individuals requiring a doctor’s notes are requested to contact their family doctor.
Patients should come prepared to the Assessment Centre
- Individuals who need interpreters should have that contact or a downloaded application readily available on their phone.
- Avoid bringing any individuals with you who do not have to be swabbed or assessed. This will help us ensure adequate space for social distancing. However, patients who require assistance (with mobility) will need to bring a support person to help them get to and from the Assessment Centre.
Accessing your COVID-19 results
The swabs taken at the Markham Stouffville Hospital’s COVID-19 Assessment Centre are not processed on site. The best way for you to access your results is by visiting the Public Health Ontario COVID-19 results website. An OHIP number is required to register to view results. For patients without an OHIP number and test. It may take up-to seven days for you to receive your results.
COVID-19 test results will not appear on the Patient Connect portal.
Once your results are available, you will only receive a phone call from York Region Public Health if your test is positive.
Instructions after your COVID-19 test
Download the follow-up instructions and learn how to get your results and how to self-isolate.
See attached PDF.