Preregistering with Markham Stouffville Hospital is a great way to make your admission process during labour simple and smooth. If you preregister with us during your pregnancy, you can provide us with information such as your room preference and insurance coverage so we’ll be all set up for you when you arrive in labour. We encourage you to preregister with us once you are 20 to 24 weeks pregnant.
Preregistering is also recommended if you are planning a home birth with a midwife, in the event that your choice of birth place changes.
When you call for preregistration, please make sure you have the following:
- Health card (Ontario Health Insurance Plan: OHIP card)
- Supplementary insurance information. Please make sure you are aware of your insurance coverage. If you have supplementary insurance, we will bill them on your behalf, with the understanding that the responsibility for full payment remains with you.
Non-OHIP and Out-of-Country patient information
Thank you for choosing Markham Stouffville Hospital to deliver your baby. Costs vary depending on your resident status in Canada. At Markham Stouffville Hospital, you can choose between having an obstetrician, midwife, or family physician deliver your baby. Contact the care provider of your choice to inquire about their fees.
Preparing to give birth
Notice: Childbirth orientation sessions are canceled indefinitely. You can view the forms we hand out at the sessions here:
- Hospital bag checklist
- Hospital bag checklist (in Mandarin)
- OMama (a website and a mobile application that connects you to trusted, evidence-informed pregnancy, birth, and early parenting information)
If you have a concern about your pregnancy or think you may be in labour, call the obstetrical assessment telephone line at 905-472-7366, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. You will be connected with one of our registered nurses who will ask you several questions about your specific situation and work with you to establish a care plan.
Familiarize yourself with the hospital in a virtual tour, helping you better understand which entrance and elevators to take to the childbirth area. You can also get a glimpse of our 13 private labour and delivery rooms, and our postpartum rooms (13 private, 1 semi-private, 1 ward).
If you have concerns about your pregnancy, think you are in labour, or are going to be making your way to Markham Stouffville Hospital, please call our Triage Unit: 905-472-7366.
If you come for an assessment, please bring your health card to our Triage area on the 4th floor of building B. There you will be assessed by a nurse who will update your health care provider or the on call physician about your situation. Depending on your stage of labour, and your unique situation, you may be admitted or you may go home with a plan of care.
Parking Lot options
During regular business hours:
- Visitor parking lot #1 at Church Street and Butternut Lane and come in through the main entrance
- Visitor parking lot #6 off Bur Oak Avenue and come in through entrance D, beside the Emergency Department
After regular hours:
- Visitor parking lot #6 off Bur Oak Avenue and come in through the main Emergency Department entrance; security will escort you to the Childbirth Unit.
Find out more about parking at Markham Stouffville Hospital.
Directions to Childbirth Unit
Take passenger elevators in the link lobby of building B to the 4th floor and follow the signs to 4WH.